Russia has stepped up its strikes in Syria.
In Syria, the Turkish military fired at two Russian helicopters. This happened on the eve of the Turkish President went to Russia for negotiations, reports with reference to.
Russia itself has also stepped up its strikes in Syria. The aggravation of the situation in Syrian Idlib will be the main topic of the meeting between Erdogan and Putin.
Russian helicopters fired on
The Russians were hovering over the village of Al-Derdara near a Russian base north of Tal-Tamro in Hasaka province. Turkish forces launched a missile strike against these aircraft.
However, it was not possible to get there. Russian helicopters reacted quickly to the shelling and fired bullets. Subsequently, the helicopters of both sides left the dangerous area.
Before that, Russia provoked Turkey to strike. Russian aviation carried out raids on Turkish zones of influence in northern Syria for two days in a row.
Recall! The ally of the Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad in the war with the opposition is Russia. Through Assad, the Kremlin wants to strengthen its influence in the Middle East.
The situation in Idlib escalates: in brief
- The aggravation between Turkey and Syria took place in March 2020. The Russian attack killed 36 people and injured dozens more.
- Within a few days, Putin and Erdogan agreed on a ceasefire in Syrian Idlib.
- However, the Assad regime regularly violated the agreements. Several Turkish soldiers were killed here in September in an attack on a patrol.
- Therefore, Turkey increased the number of units south of Idlib and began to prepare for a ground attack on Syria.
- To reduce the degree of tension, the presidents of Russia and Turkey agreed to meet on September 28 in Sochi.