CAIRO, September 11 The number of victims of floods in eastern Libya has exceeded two thousand people, several thousand are still missing, said Osama Hamad, head of the parliament-appointed government based in the Libyan city of Sirte.
Formerly the representative of the Libyan National Army (LNA) Ahmed al-Mismari reported that three people were victims of severe flooding in Libya caused by Cyclone Daniel, which hit the eastern part of the country. The cities of Sousse and Derna in the east of the country were declared natural disaster zones. The Benghazi Red Crescent later said at least 150 people had been killed.
“The number of victims in Derna has exceeded two thousand, with several thousand still missing,” Hamad told Libya's Al-Masar TV.
< br />As previously reported by Libyan media, on Sunday, heavy rains caused flash floods and flash floods in a number of cities and towns in eastern Libya, including Al-Bayda and Derna. Due to heavy rains, airports and seaports were closed in the region.
Previously, “Daniel” hit Greece, and from September 4 there were heavy downpours throughout the country. The Ekathimerini newspaper reported that the number of cyclone victims in the country had risen to 14 people, with three more still missing. Daniel is expected to reach the Mediterranean coast of Egypt on Monday.